Overland park


The City of Overland Park, Kansas replied to an inquiry basically stating this:
"If the fire is than 2 ft. by 3 ft., it would be considered a recreational fire and you would not need any permit. If you were doing a show or exhibition for someplace, the city would require a special events permit and a fire permit. The fire permit is free. The event permit is based on whether there is a fee charged at the door and the size of the crowd."

I am hoping this information provides assistance for NAFAA and other fire performance artists in the area. As you can see the laws are very vague or "gray" regarding fire performances involving audiences or not. What I have found through discussion and experience is the first legal assumption is always going to be made by the local police department and/or fire department. Because there is nothing that truly outlines this type of burning, the fire or police officers' results will vary. I then assume there will be a similar reaction from a judge, but I have not been placed in a situation to face a judge with this matter.

3rd Degree Burn

[Editors note: 105.6.32 Open Flames and candles sounds an awful lot like the NFPA 160 Group I codes; probably a derivative. Sounds like you simply need to secure a free permit in either case.]

You could also check the surrounding areas.